"Music is a therapy. It is a communication far more powerful than words, far more immediate, far more efficient." Yehudi Menuhin
- Is the skillful use of music as a therapeutic tool to restore, maintain, and improve mental, physical, and emotional health. No musical ability is needed.
- Stimulates all of the senses.
- Can be a form of expression when we cannot find our words.
- Can encourage socialization, self-express, communication, and motor development.
- Is highly motivating and engaging yet can also have a calming and relaxing effect.
- Can help an individual manage pain and stressful situations.
- Can stimulate cognitive functioning and may be used for remediation of some speech/language skills since the brain processes music in both hemispheres.
- Music is considered a "universal language" which provides non-threatening connections between people and/or individuals and their environment; facilitating relationships, learning, self-expression, and communication.
- Music can capture and help maintain attention.